Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Texas Capitol

Back to the blog world after more than a month ... thanks to those who sent me notes over this time asking if I was ok and saying I was missed. It was nice to know I have you as blog-friends. :)

It's just been very busy here with various activities. I'm back for now, and am looking forward to visiting my favourite blogs and seeing what you have been up to.

The photo club that I'm a member of is putting together an exhibit for the Austin Airport, which will go up in January. The theme for this exhibit is "Looking Up." For this I wanted to photograph the dome of the State Capitol from below, and so went over to the Capitol building several times. Once I got there I realized what an interesting place it is to photograph. I wandered around taking lots of pictures.

The dome is so beautiful seen from below! It took a lot of tries to get a perfectly symmetric picture of it, and this one was selected for the Airport exhibit.



Here is another angle - not symmetric, but with more depth.



The House of Representatives has a beautiful ceiling, with ornate carvings. This picture was also selected for the Airport exhibit.



Even the stairway is a great subject to photograph!



Walking outside, I turned around for one last shot, looking up, at the building against the blue sky.


In case I'm not able to post again before Thanksgiving, have a wonderful holiday, with your family and friends. Happy Thanksgiving!

23 comments:

GMG said...

Hi Bindu! Welcome back!!
Wow! Great pictures!!

Blogtrotter has an astonishing display of works of art by contemporary artists in the streets of Bilbao for you to enjoy. Have a great week!

Neelima Vallangi said...

Welcome back after a long time! :)
The dome really looks lovely. The turquoise blue center is like the best.

SG said...

All great pictures... but what truly captivated me were the staircases... very well taken!

Vamsee Modugula said...

Hey Bindu,
It is good to see you back. Wonderful photographs. I know how hard it is to photograph symmetric images of roofs and domes, so great work there.
I also loved the pictures of the stair case. Most of us, photograph the obvious and miss out on some cool images, but looks like you have a keen eye.

Barbara Martin said...

Excellent photos, Bindu! I love the staircase ones.

Abhilash said...

the photographs are really nice.

They appear work from a great photographer


I like the staircases portrayed. They look detailed.

And nice to see you back again.

Raph G. Neckmann said...

Glad to see you back, Bindu!

I love the photos, especially the kaleidoscope effect round ceiling. Wonderful! And congratulations on your photos being selected!

LadyFi said...

Ah - welcome back! I've missed you.

I love the ceiling pictures, but the staircase ones are just stunning in their contrast of rich black and creamy yellow!

Shayla said...

Welcome back and what beautiful photos you have to share. I'm especially taken with the stairs. What a beautiful building.

SG said...

Awesome pictures. Have visited Austin couple of times and impressed. The Goddess of Liberty Statue on top of the Capitol building is also great.

ArtSparker said...

A very handsome building. Looking up at the leaves a lot here - good to see you back.

Rush said...

loved the photographs..u have captured the essence of the capitol building quite well.

Nisha said...

Hi Bindu,
Glad to see you back in action.
You are right. The stairway are indeed great subjects here, more than the ceiling.

Chris Daly said...

Beautiful photos Bindu! Wishing you two a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Indrani said...

Welcome back!
Great pics, particularly those of the staircases.

Bhavesh Chhatbar said...

Your photography is just as majestic as the place!

Belated, Happy Thanksgiving to You!

Peacocks [Mor, मोर] of Morachi Chincholi [मोराची चिंचोली]

French Fancy... said...

Bindu - ever since I added you to my blogroll you disappeared - hope I've not jinxed you.

these are just fabulous photos - you must have ended up with a stiff neck

x

ArtPropelled said...

Glad you're back Bindu. Great photographs! The staircase is quite dramatic isn't it?

Blu said...

wonderful images, I bet that was a lot of fun really marvelous shapes to play with. You did a cracking job..BRAVO!!!

Rajesh said...

Welcome back to the blogging world. Wonderful snaps, especially the dome.

Unknown said...

Hi Bindu! Welcome back. You were missed. I love your photos. The top one is probably my favorite, I think because it takes on a little more mystery.

Sydney said...

OMG these photos are STUNNING!!! Are you interested in doing a book or a gallery show of your photos lady? I'm serious!

Manjunath said...

Wow!! nice pics, what a royal architecture