Friday, December 11, 2009

Goddess II

About a year ago I had posted a picture of a painting that I made of the Goddess Kali. She is a powerful and ferocious Goddess in Hinduism, and is worshiped as the destroyer of evil. Goddesses are usually displayed as beautiful, soft and feminine, but Kali is the embodiment of all that is powerful within us, and I like her portrayal as a warrior - one who will fight evil and destroy it.

My plan was to make a series of three Goddesses in this partial-Madhubani style. Kali was my first choice since her portrayal is so dramatic and interesting. She stands on her consort, Lord Shiva, holds in her hand the severed head of one of the villians she has killed, sits on a tigress and holds in her hands all sorts of weapons. Here's that painting again -



I recently finished the second Goddess painting, and chose Saraswati this time, the Goddess of learning. In complete contrast to Kali, Saraswati is serene and smiling, bestowing intelligence and wisdom on us. She is clad in white, and stands on a white lotus, with a peacock as her companion.

It was a lot more difficult to make this painting interesting ... I struggled with the colors, and though I initially wanted to go with a completely different color scheme, I ended up again in the realm of earth colors, which I seem to always gravitate towards ...

Here she is -


I haven't decided on the next Goddess for this series. Am currently distracted with pottery, as you saw in my previous post. So it might be another year before I produce the 3rd Goddess!

Have a great weekend.

26 comments:

pink dogwood said...

No - don't wait another year, these goddesses are amazing. I love them both. My mom keeps telling me that I have to place a picture or statue of saraswati on both of my daughters' desk so that she can watch over them and provide guidance and wisdom.

Again, don't wait another year -I want to see more :)

Also, I love your previous post - I have been meaning to take pottery classes for ages. your cups and bowl look great.

ArtSparker said...

Saraswati is lovely, I like the pattern on the lotus, and the way you have combined the complicated elements with the limited palette

LadyFi said...

Wow - stunning goddesses! You are a very gifted artist!

Rajesh said...

Beautiful paintings of Goddesses you have done. It is lot of hard work and patience. I liked the Goddess Saraswati painting more.

Abhilash said...

you are a great artist boss!!!

HELENA AFONSO said...

Thank you so much for showing these beautiful goddesses.... I was familiar with KALI but not with Saraswati...HINDU religion is indeed an infinite BOOK OF ART AND BEAUTY! Is PARVATI considered also a GODDESS? Or Is she just the wife of SHIVA, THE CREATOR AND DESTROYER?
HELENA

Mridula said...

painting, pottery, running, is there anything that you don't do? :D

Lakshmi said...

you have some amazing talent..yr paintings and your cups and bowl look great

ArtPropelled said...

Bindu your painting of Saraswati is really beautiful! The less vibrant colour suits her personality whereas the red is perfect for Kali. I hope you don't wait too long to paint the third.

bindu said...

Thanks Bhavana. Good to hear from you again!

ArtSparker, LadyFi, Abhilash - thanks. :)

Rajesh - thanks, that's good to know, since I like the Kali better. :)

Helena - Parvati is a goddess too, and I was considering her along with Shiva for the third painting ... let's see.

Mridula - ha ha! There's plenty of course. :)

Thanks, Lakshmi.

ArtPropelled - thanks. I guess that's true. I hadn't thought of it that way!

GMG said...

Hi Bindu! Painting, pottery... everything comes out superbly!! Great talent!!

Blogtrotter, which is always one year late in posting ;), headed to London December 2008. Enjoy and have a great week!

Chris Daly said...

I am in awe of your skill as a painter. Your goddesses are beautiful.

Unknown said...

Wow. These paintings are wonderful, Bindu. You are much more patient than I am when it comes to painting. All that detail - Amazing! Thanks for sharing, not only your paintings, but the explanation of who these goddesses are.

Karishma said...

I think they're absolutely beautiful :)

rocksea said...

saraswati looks beatiful! you are a master of all arts ;)

French Fancy... said...

Bindu, these are simply stunning - they are the sort of professional standard that people like me can just look at and envy the skill of the creator. My personal favourite is Kali.

Maya said...

I liked both paintings Bins. Why don't you do Lakshmi or Durga next? I also liked the photos you had taken of Capitol building (is it?) very nice and beautiful. I would love to see a photo of the exhibit in the airport. Maybe you can photo that and send.

Girija Sankar said...

Beautiful as ever!

How's the portfolio coming along?!

Giri.

Blu said...

Totally stunning, what a talented person you are. I love the goddess on the lotus flower. Give up the day job and use your creative gift, bravo!

Shayla said...

Impressive results.

GMG said...

Hi Bindu!
Time to relax with a visit to a museum? Blogtrotter is at the British! Enjoy and have a great holiday season!!

Indrani said...

Great art work Bindu.

(Kali stands on Lord Shiva I thought. )

Bhavesh Chhatbar said...

What an art Bindu. Excellent work. Hats off to you :) Sad that we'll have to wait for another year to see your next Goddess Art

Bhangarh

Sydney said...

Dear Bindu,

Wishing you a very happy holiday, if you celebrate them this time of year... much love to you dear friend, from Sydney :-)

Raph G. Neckmann said...

These are so beautiful, Bindu! I love your use of the colours, and the shapes and patterns which give such movement to the paintings.

I am so enjoying looking at the bookmarks you sent me!

Deepa said...

Loving your blog - because it's so interesting to read about the things you do..
Deepa