Thursday, July 31, 2008

I surprise myself!

This is a food post - I just had to brag. :)

We were sort of hungry around chai-time today, and felt like eating something interesting. So I made what I will call "bite-sized corn cilantro fritters".

It was a random experiment loosely inspired by these corn patties we used to get at the fresh food section of the Atlanta whole foods. And I was happily surprised when they came out really well!



Best thing was that they were all ready within around 20 minutes!

Ingredients (to make around 20 of these) -

a handful of frozen corn
half an onion chopped very fine
a generous amount of chopped cilantro
one scallion chopped fine
besan (gram flour) and rice flour in equal quantities (about 2 spoons each)
bread crumbs (about 1.5 spoons)
a pinch of baking powder

salt, chili powder, asafoetida, pepper to taste

Method -

I mixed all the ingredients in dry form (with enough flour to just about coat the rest of the stuff), and added water so that the mixture still remained pretty thick.

I didn't want to deep-fry them, so I used this thing that my mother brought for me from India - sorry, I don't know its name, but you can see what it looks like from the picture.



I used a drop of oil in each cup and dropped half a spoon-full of the mixture into each. Then I drizzled a few more drops of oil around each of them. Covered and let them cook. In a couple of minutes I turned them over, pressed them down and added a couple more drops of oil. Let them cook for a few more minutes till both sides were golden brown.

That was it! They tasted really good, and were gone too soon.

4 comments:

Raaga said...

This is great... that is an appachatti or paniyara chatti. I haven't made stuff with corn much... hubby ain't a great fan of corn... but we do eat it often :-) I have to try this.

I fry in this chatti often :-)

http://chefatwork.blogspot.com/2008/07/kadhi-and-no-fry-pakoda-for-milestone.html

http://chefatwork.blogspot.com/2008/02/kabuli-kabab.html

Srividya said...

Oh no ! You can't do this to me !

bindu said...

Raaga: Thanks - my sister told me its name after she saw this. Also, I should have added the credit in the blog - I got the idea of using this appachatti from you. Thanks! :)

Srividya said...

Raaga: I read your blog regularly and even cooked your spinach kadhi last week. I didn't know you were bindu's friend. Small world I guess !