Wednesday, September 10, 2008

We have no time to stand and stare


Summer is over, and it's time to get busy again. Time to juggle work, fun, exercise and entertainment to make sure life is lived well even during busy times. I remember this poem; one of my favourites, when ever I feel life's rushing by ...

Leisure

by W.H. Davies

WHAT is this life if, full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs

And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,

Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,

Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,

And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can

Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare.


This picture was taken half way through a hike on the South Rim trail on a trip to Big Bend National Park in Texas.

3 comments:

pink dogwood said...

I like the poem and the picture. I never considered visiting Texas, but your pictures and descriptions are tempting me :)

Suma said...

The poem complements the photo really well :))

bindu said...

bhavana - never thought I'd interest people in Texas with my posts! Austin's nice, and Big Bend is nice when the weather is pleasant. So you should come!

Shuma - thanks and welcome. I saw some of your photos on flickr and they're good!